GUIDELINES FOR SOUTHERN DIRECTORS -- CHAIR
ROLE OF THE CHAIR OF THE
The Chair is the Chief Executive Officer of the Association. He/she represents the Association in its affairs at both the regional and national level. The election of the Chair-Elect automatically carries with it an appointment for a
three-year term as a member of the Experiment Station Committee on Organization and
(ESCOP) to provide continuity of leadership between national and regional levels.
Other responsibilities include:
- Presides at meetings of the Association and meetings of the Executive Committee.
- Calls meetings of the Association or Executive Committee either by teleconference or
otherwise as necessary.
- Develops agendas, with assistance of the Executive Director, for the meetings
of the Association and of the Executive Committee.
- Takes such interim actions between meetings as authorized in the By-Laws and Guidelines.
One such action is the appointment of member Directors and/or Department Heads to committees and other activities as needed.
- Maintains an "Interim Action" file of actions taken on behalf of the association.
- Provides a list of these items for inclusion in the agenda briefs of spring and summer meetings. (Items include correspondence initiated by the Chair regarding assignments, CSREES Proposals, etc. See previous meeting minutes for example lists of Interim Actions).
- By signature, authorizes project proposals on behalf of the association. (Signature authority for this purpose may be granted in writing to the Executive Director).
- Projects funded by CSREES multistate research funds (MRF) are authorized by the Chair upon recommendation of the Southern Regional Multistate Research Committee (MRC).
- Projects requiring off-the-top funding (NRSPs and S-009) are authorized by the Chair upon recommendation of MRC and vote of the Association.
- Serves as immediate supervisor for the Executive Director.
Back to Guidelines Table of Contents
Back to SAAESD Homepage